Sick sheepdog- Anyone else have this diagnosis or any ideas?

Biopsy Dx of lump - nonneoplastic, inflammatory/reactive lesion. Belle's history is a follows.
Our sheepdog is 2 years/ 4 months old and her name is Belle. She is a beautiful, loving girl but is
sick and the vet says there is nothing else he can do for her. She has had these lumps that come on her left side in the same spot. Before I had a lump biopsied the dermatology vet thought her condition was nodular panniculitis. She has had surgery to remove these lumps 3 times. Is there anyone out there
that has dealt with this health problem in their sheepdog? I am going to start Belle on a raw diet to see if this will help. Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Respond to this topic here on forum.oes.org  
Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry you found us under difficult circumstances.

I've not heard of the disease. I hope someone else can tell us about it.
That is a very broad diagnosis and can encompass many conditions. Nodular panniculitis can be a part of that diagnosis. All of this may be autoimmune related. I would suggest you get in touch with a vet school and see if they can help you pinpoint a specific diagnosis and treatment. They are able to do more complex biopsies and immunofluorescense testing to come up with answers. If it truly is an autoimmune response it will probably be a lifelong issue. Hope this helps.
Thank-you for your responses and suggestions. Yes, I also feel this disease is related to Belle's immune system. I will contact a vet school and see what knowledge they may have. I'be been told by the.l vet that Belle's condition is chronic. ☹️ I am heartbroken for her but not giving up.
Well, I have had Belle on a raw diet for 3 weeks now and she really enjoys the food. She is still getting the lumps on her side but not as big or as bad. I was wondering has anyone ever taken their sheepdog to a Holistic Vet and what you thought about your experience? I'm considering taking Belle to a Holistic Vet to see if they have any more insight into her problem. Thanks
My friend takes here English sheepdog to one a swears it is the best thing she ever did. I have seen the improvement in her dog but she also changed his brand of dried kibble so could be that or both. xx
Thank-you for reply. I am going to book an appointment for Belle with the Holistic Vet.
Let us know the outcome. I am nosey!!!! No, nice to know how fellow fluff lumps are doing- bit like "the old days" when we had daily reports of who was up to what. xx :wag: :tea: :crossed:
I took Belle to the Holistic Vet last Tuesday. I had my consult with Belle and bought all the prescribed treatments needed to be given to her. I followed what they said to do. Her lesions actually got worse and she smells like she is rotting from the inside out. I am heart broken and very sad as I felt this was my last option. I took her to my regular vet today to start her on some antibiotics but I am really at a cross roads. I am not taking her back to the Holistic Vet as that was a $1,000.00 (including consult and all the tinctures etc) and it made it worse. They told me if she is worse to discontinue the treatment. I'm considering doing 14 days of antibiotics but if this does not work it realistically may be time to euthanize my beautiful Belle. I love her but what quality of life is she having? She still has her appetite, gets excited to see me but with this last Holistic treatment she is tired and sleeping a lot. Are there any thoughts out there?
I took Belle to the Holistic Vet last Tuesday. I had my consult with Belle and bought all the prescribed treatments needed to be given to her. I followed what they said to do. Her lesions actually got worse and she smells like she is rotting from the inside out. I am heart broken and very sad as I felt this was my last option. I took her to my regular vet today to start her on some antibiotics but I am really at a cross roads. I am not taking her back to the Holistic Vet as that was a $1,000.00 (including consult and all the tinctures etc) and it made it worse. They told me if she is worse to discontinue the treatment. I'm considering doing 14 days of antibiotics but if this does not work it realistically may be time to euthanize my beautiful Belle. I love her but what quality of life is she having? She still has her appetite, gets excited to see me but with this last Holistic treatment she is tired and sleeping a lot. Are there any thoughts out there?
Maybe get a second opinion?

Are you near a veterinary teaching college? If so, take her there.
I wouldn't give up on her yet.

It seems that it can be treated with antibiotics or antifungals (depending on the cause), steroids, and vitamin E.
Looks like they can live a good life with treatment.

See this:
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ski ... nniculitis
I appreciate your replies and input. Unfortunately, we do not have a veterinary teaching school around here. I did email the 3 teaching schools that are in other provinces and got only 1 vague reply.
When I took Belle to my vet yesterday they thoroughly cleaned the 2 lesions on her side. I also got a prescription for Clavaseptin 500mg tablets 2 a day for 14 days. Already after 1 day the rotting smell is gone. I will inquire with my vet next week if Belle would benefit from steroids.
My sister-in-law and brother breed and show Lowchens. They are in town next Saturday for a dog show. There will be all breeds there and showing. I'm going to approach the sheepdog breeders and inquire what they think or if they have any suggestions about Belle's lesions.
I've got to just keep asking the questions and one day someone will have the right answer.
Yesterday, I was feeling hopeless for Belle's condition and today I'm back on my feet ready to be Belle's voice again.
Anyone that has any suggestions or options that would help Belle and I are greatly appreciated.
I will continue to update on Belle as we continue down this journey together to make Belle well.
Thank-you from the bottom of my heart.
I'm sorry
So sorry the holistic treatment made things worse - they certainly know how to charge, was a lot cheaper than that in England!! Yes, you do have to keep on asking and as you say there may be a "drug" to help her and you can continue daily life with Belle, as long as she is happy. Do hope the "stuff!" she is on does the job-sounding good so far. Big hugs for you both. xx

:wag: :tea: :crossed: :ghug:
J. Bathgate wrote:
I appreciate your replies and input. Unfortunately, we do not have a veterinary teaching school around here. I did email the 3 teaching schools that are in other provinces and got only 1 vague reply.
When I took Belle to my vet yesterday they thoroughly cleaned the 2 lesions on her side. I also got a prescription for Clavaseptin 500mg tablets 2 a day for 14 days. Already after 1 day the rotting smell is gone. I will inquire with my vet next week if Belle would benefit from steroids.
My sister-in-law and brother breed and show Lowchens. They are in town next Saturday for a dog show. There will be all breeds there and showing. I'm going to approach the sheepdog breeders and inquire what they think or if they have any suggestions about Belle's lesions.
I've got to just keep asking the questions and one day someone will have the right answer.
Yesterday, I was feeling hopeless for Belle's condition and today I'm back on my feet ready to be Belle's voice again.
Anyone that has any suggestions or options that would help Belle and I are greatly appreciated.
I will continue to update on Belle as we continue down this journey together to make Belle well.
Thank-you from the bottom of my heart.


Good.
If you're not getting the right answers or your confidence in your current vet is low, don't be afraid to seek out a new vet.
My experience with Brick's Cushing's disease has taught me that.
Nobody knows Belle like you. You've got to continue to be her voice.
I've decided to do the 14 days of antibiotics (500 mg twice daily). I am going to a dog show this weekend as my sister-in-law and brother breed and show Lowchens. There will be Old English Sheepdogs being shown and I'm hoping to talk with a Sheepdog owner and/or breeder and see if they have any recommendations. Depending on how Belle responds to this round of antibiotics, I am considering treating her with some steroids.I have done some research on steroid treatment; the short term and long term side effects. But I also need to take into consideration how Belle is feeling. She still has a good appetite but she has been quite tired from the Holistic treatments and now the antibiotics. I wish Belle could talk and give me her input. Thanks for the article regarding treating nodules.
Didn't find exactly what you're looking for? Search again here:
Custom Search
Counter

[Home] [Get A Sheepdog] [Community] [Memories]
[OES Links] [OES Photos] [Grooming] [Merchandise] [Search]

Identifying Ticks info Greenies Info Interceptor info Glucosamine Info
Rimadyl info Heartgard info ProHeart Info Frontline info
Revolution Info Dog Allergies info Heartworm info Dog Wormer info
Pet Insurance info Dog Supplements info Vitamins Info Bach's Rescue Remedy
Dog Bite info Dog Aggression info Boarding Kennel info Pet Sitting Info
Dog Smells Pet Smells Get Rid of Fleas Hip Displasia info
Diarrhea Info Diarrhea Rice Water AIHA Info
Sheepdog Grooming Grooming-Supplies Oster A5 info Slicker Brush info
Dog Listener Dog's Mind Dog Whisperer

Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
  Please read our PRIVACY statement and Terms of Use

 

Copyright 2000 - 2012 by OES.org. All rights reserved.