A quick internet search says that these shells are toxic to dogs (and horses).
Trying to get more info.
|I don't know about them being bad for animals, but my BIL has several mature trees and he can't grow a veggie garden near them. Todd says it's the tannic acid in them. |
Maybe someone knows more???
I've also read that nothing will grow near a black walnut tree.
I'm hoping one of our experts on the board can shed some more light on the possible toxicity of the black walnut shells in dogs.
|http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-co ... alnut.aspx|
If in doubt, contact your vet or the poison control hotline.
|I've also read that the molds that grow on them are what make the animals sick.|
Looks like we need to add another "sticky" in this section regarding black walnut shells.
If you have them in your yard, pick them up on a very regular basis. Don't let your dogs play with or eat them.
|We have several mature black walnut trees on our property. I have never had a dog interested in eating the nuts. The squirrels and flying squirrels surely love them and horde them in our barn-shed.|
Nothing grows under them. The grass is very sparse. I have found that every other year seems to be a nut producing year. This year was certainly the nut producing year since there are tons.... I'm not sure if there is any fact to that, but, that is what it appears to be to me.
|Didn't find exactly what you're looking for? Search again here:
Identifying Ticks info