|I am so sorry you are going through this.
I can't help you decide what you should do as I do not know you, your dog or your vet, but I CAN tell you this:
WHATEVER you decide to do will be the right thing. If you decide it is time to help ease her across the Rainbow Bridge then it is the best decision that anyone could make because you love her so much.
If you decide that she has some fight left in her and would want to try, and you have the resources to be able to afford it, then that is the right thing.
I feel your angst coming through in your post and I pray you have ease with your decision.
|This has gotten even harder now. Yesterday the Dr that was handling Keri said my decision to go ahead with pyometra surgery was not disagreeable to her or she would say so and that she would let me know if things got any worse before surgery. She had said that her kidney function might even be able to improve after surgery.
Today, I was contacted by the actual surgeon who was to do the work, and he claims her kidneys are not functioning well enough for him to recommend going ahead with it, he says they had her on fluids for 24 hrs with no kidney improvement. The original Dr is not going to be in today, or likely for the holiday either,so I can't get ahold of her to see if she has changed her mind also, she had said she would tell me if she did. How do I know this surgeon just doesn't want to operate on an old dog or even just wants to get on with his Easter vacation?
He wants to put her down today and asked me if I wanted to be there when she was put to sleep. I don't feel like I can go in there and see the look in her eyes when she wiill be so happy to see me come in, then sit down and see the light in her eyes go out forever. She has never been away from home in her life, this is the first time she hasn't been with me everyday in 15 yrs, and right now hasn't seen me since Friday morning. I can't rectify between these two different opinions I just received from the same vetr offices. I had never taken her there before, just had heard they had excellent care there from someone, so I went there. If I call
and tell them to go ahead and euthanize me, I am wondering if that would be better for Keri than having her see me come in and think she was coming home, or what woulfd it do to me if I am there or not there if she is put to sleep.I can't have this Dr doing the surgery if he doesn't have confidence in the result or he may deliberately not do it well. Yet how can I takher elsewhere in her condition with this infection still inside of her. I am so totally lost in this now, I don't think I have ever felt sos horrible in my entire life. Thank you for you kind response, I really appreciate it.
no matter how hard it is, i would go and be with her...it truely is the hardest thing in the world to do but i think you will be at peace with yourself and she will go peacefully with you there.
I am not making a judgement call...you know what you can handle...but just have gone thru cancer and chemo..being there for your best friend makes the world of difference...for you both...
bless you during this tough time!
|I am sorry I can't offer anything other than to say I am so sorry you are going through this. Your decision is one of the toughest. If you do decide to let her go, I do agree with Darcy that you and Keri would be more at peace with you there.
My thoughts and prayers are with both of you.
|My thoughts and prayers are with you. Whatever you decide will be the right decision. I would also go and be with her..it will comfort both of you.|
|my heart goes out to you..|
|If at all possible I would urge you to be with her. I was with both of mine and even though I was sleeping with my arms around one (she died at home) I wanted them to know it was okay to leave and my touch was the last thing they felt. Difficult, certainly, but important as well. I wouldn't want you to feel regret when it's too late, you may suprise yourself with the courage you have deep inside. Let your loving touch be the one that releases her from pain:ghug:|
|You'll want to be with her. I think you'll find that you'll be sorry if you don't say good bye. I just had to let my old girl go a few weeks ago and, though it was hard, I'm glad I was there to hold her paw and tell her it was ok. She needs you, too. I'm sorry that you're going through this.|
|If you have to make the difficult decision to euthanize, try to be strong and be with her when she passes on if at all possible. I will forever regret not seeing my OES-mix the morning of exploratory surgery... we had to leave her late at night because she was bleeding. The vet called during surgery that morning to tell us there was no hope... she had tumors on both kidneys. So we had her put to rest during the surgery, then brought her home. It was not a good decision for me and I will never again do it... I owe it to my dogs to be there with them when the time comes. I was with my pet rabbit when she was put to rest a couple of years ago and it was peaceful.
My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time.
|I am so sorry for the decisions that are ahead of you.
Keri would want you to be with her, I know it is hard but, you both will be more at peace if you are together when the time comes.
You want her to know you are there...her best friend.
I will be thinking of you
It is never easy but, after 15 years she needs you.
Again, I am so sorry..
I'm late in posting this but I too would recommend you be there if possible. You mentioned she hadn't been away from home in her life and I feel that too plays a part in her overall health. Many years ago researchers discovered very young children did far better with their parents at the hospital to help ease the stress. Stress plays a big part in overall health.
While it's the hardest thing you'll ever have to do - I hope you find the strength to be there for Keri. To have you hold her and tell her you love her. If not possible to be there at the exact moment..go see her. She'll know you are there for her. If there is any way possible ask if you could bring her home for the day, Make sure she's comfortable with meds if necessary, spend time with her saying your goodbye's and then make the appointment.
I'm so sorry this has happened to you and how difficult it is for you at this time. Hugs and thoughts to you and Keri.
|I feel like I have just found some of the kindest people I have ever known on this site. Of course we don't really know each other, but your incredibly kind responses and advice make me feel like I am with family, thank you so much for your incredibly kind advice and comforting words. I have never been on a forum site before, if I am not supposed to be writing so much, please let me know. I am hoping not only for help from ideas for Keri, but also that this experience might help anyone else that ever runs into pyometra(and I hope you never do run into this horrible problem). If i had ever heard about this before in my life, my dog would have been spaid as a puppy, that prevents the risk of pyometra.
Well, If I have her put to sleep, I am going to be sure to be there when it is done, after what you have said here, I know now that I would regret it forever if not there for her, but might not have realized that if not for you.
Today I received a call from yet another Dr, they have a series of them covering hours over the holiday weekend. He suggested that I should come in and have her put down today, saying it appears that her pancreas may be starting to show signs of trouble now. I asked why they didn't perform surgery when I rushed her there for emergency treatment on Friday because from what I read, the infection could be causing more problems as it sits there in her system. He said it is because they have different Drs coming in with different opinions over the weekend, and that they all want to be sure never to start operating until they know it is safe for the dog. He said her kidneys are at a level 75 failure at this time, but her albumin has improved slightly. Other items, I think phosphorous or something didn't look good. I said if he is sure some of these bad readings are not being caused by the infection itself (which I have read about as being a possible cause)and would not improve with surgery that we should go ahead and get the euthanasia done. I also told him some of the incredible thiings Keri has done in her life, such as saving my life twice. After that, he didn't seem to want to put her to sleep, and suggested we could wait a day or even up to next Tuesday and watch her charts to see if she improves under the IV fluids and antibiotics enough to operate. I think the regular staff is out until Tuesday for the holiday and wonder if that has to do with it. That is where we stand now, although I don't know if I am doing the right thing for her anymore. I visited with her, she seemed in her eyes so happy to see me. She has an IV in her leg and didn't move at all. She is sedated and on antibiotics. So as it stands, they are going to call me tomorrow and update me on her condition. I will post again soon on it all.Again, what an incredible site and beautiful people, THANK YOU!!
|MaryB - do not feel you are saying too much! We are all dog lovers and truly feel horrible for you, having your much loved Keri in such a struggle. Having been there with Macy, I know exactly the fears and second guessing you are going through.
Please keep us posted , we are hoping for the best.
I am so sorry you are going through this. Keri sounds very special, and we will send good thoughts your way, hoping she can pull through.
Laurie and Oscar
|Mary b we are going thro similar to you at the moment with our pup summer. All you can do is be strong and be guided by the vets that is what we are trying to do. my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.|
|Mary - I wish you and Keri well with your struggle against this horrible disease. My OES Daisy had this last year after going through 3 operations and chemotherapy for mammary tumours. The vets had her on antibiotics for two weeks before they operated as her body was too weak from the chemo to do the emergency spay straight away. They also treated her with twice daily injections of a drug to encourage the womb to expell the discharge. She got through it all before we finally lost her to the cancer anyway. There is hope and I would encourage you to spend as much time with her at the vets that you can. I think that helped last year - probably as much for me as for Daisy.
I can only re-emphasise your comments about spaying as that would have probably prevented both the Pyometra and also the mammary tumours. Our new puppy, Poppy will be spayed as soon as the vet gives us the go-ahead.
|Mary, I am so sorry that you are facing this crisis with Keri. Another thing to consider about surgery is whether at her age, she would be able to withstand the anesthesia.
Having a 14 1/2 year old myself, I feel for you. Prayers and hugs are being sent to help see you through. Please keep us updated.
|Any news today? I can't stop thinking about Keri and wonder how things are?|
|Hoping and praying for Keri .|
|I wish there was some news - I'm still thinking about Keri.|
|know what your goin through i had one of my rottis put sleep dec.22 she had cancer and then jan 18 my other rotti had pyometra and that was very sick didnt think she would make it i said i wasnt loosing another dog so they did the surgrery cost was 15.000 didnt care just help her at first after surgery she wouldnt eat but now that i got her home shes eating she has to take pills every for thyroid but thats ok shes alive even that she 10yrs old just be strong if you have to put her down be there with her it hurts but you can do i miss my girl every day. i had her cremated shes on my tv maybe thats you can so shes still with you|
|Didn't find exactly what you're looking for? Search again here:
Identifying Ticks info