I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I felt really awful physically as well. Very dizzy, sick to my stomach-- I couldn't even get out of bed all day. Today I felt a bit better but still off. Is it possible to actually be physically sick from the allergic reaction? I don't seem to have a fever and I don't have cold or flu symptoms. I've never had a reaction this bad before so I have no idea if they were related.
|I don't know the answer, but it sounds awful!
I have had serious allergic reations before, and I do remember feeling really exhausted, all over... achy, physically and mentally tired... but I don't remember feeling sick.
I hope you're feeling back to normal soon...
|Is it possible she increased the glycolic acid percentage?
The clue is your statement, parts of my face actually hurt to the touch.
I would contact her to see exactly what she used for
this last facial --both glycolic and other serums etc.
She needs to note the reaction and help you determine what possible
ingredients you are allergic to.
Also, did she mix product lines? There are some companies
which do not allow other products to be used at the same time.
As a matter of fact there was one company (foreign) I refused
to work with for that reason. Clients had reactions at
home if they used a toner or moisturizer that was from a different
manufacturer than foreign companies cleanser.
Since it was a major reaction, get checked out by your MD,
especially because it included the eye area.
|Oh definately, I had a reaction to a new moisturiser and ended up at the doctors, face swollen and eyes puffed up nearly shut and skin red, looked like a giant red Michelin tyre man in the face . The swelling was awful and I felt ill too.
Might be best to see a doctor if you are still feeling not well & still have swelling too. Amazing what the body does when an allergic reaction happens.
It was quite awhile getting over it, antihistamine stuff and even eye drops to help, it was not pleasant and took awhile to get over the reaction and to feel well again.
I am so careful now with what goes onto the face and body after that experience.
| Oh, yes, you will feel very sick. Allergic reactions can sometimes be dangeres too. It is spooky. Better to see the doktor ones too much than too late....
A friend of mine gave her expencieve 100-dollar-cream to her dog. A little moisturing on the dogs nose is just the thing they need to feel special and very much loved. ( Hopefully the dog is not allergic to the cream ....)
|An allergic reaction can take many forms from mild, a little itching, to so severe that you die. So it really IS something to be concerned about. Absolutely you can feel ill. Especially if you are reacting the chemicals in the facial.
As Joan , with the severity of your reaction a visit to the Dr. might be in order. I would check out the ingredients in the products you used and avoid them. Allergic reactions can get progressively more severe with each exposure.
Tasker's Mom wrote:
I would check out the ingredients in the products you used and avoid them. Allergic reactions can get progressively more severe with each exposure.
Ginny brings up an important point. Your MD may suggest
carrying an Epi-pen. If your reaction was this severe,
another exposure could put you at risk for shortness of
breath and difficulty swallowing (throat tightness).
It is sometimes difficult to determine exactly what
allergen caused the reaction.
Better to take a conservative course and play it safe.
|Thanks, everyone. I seem to be doing much better today but I really thought I was going to die a couple of days ago. I ended up taking a benadryl last night and everything settled down and I feel physically much better today. I never realized that an allergic reaction could affect you like that.
I have very sensitive skin, and the aesthetician knew that up front and chose products accordingly but apparently something went wrong. The glycolic acid was very mild-- I hadn't had a peel in a really long time so she used the weakest dilution. I think the eye cream was the kicker because they suffered the worst. Today, my eyes are looking much more presentable, just a little red around the rims. I think my face was hurting also because of sinus pressure but with everything else going on, I couldn't really pinpoint it as such!
Again, thanks for all your responses. If it ever happens again, I won't mess around and call the doctor right away. Next time I go, I'll definitely mention it to him.
|AHHHHHH Great Beauty comes at Great Price|
|Unfortunately, I don't feel like I even got the beauty! I'm going back to micrdermabrasion. That I know I'm safe with!|
|Just don't be trying any "new" stuff in the weeks before the BIG DAY!!!!!!!!!!!|
|Glad you are feeling better. Find out what ingredients
were in the eye cream. Very happy your aesthetician used
the weaker solution. We had a student in our class have a major
reaction to glycolic when they raised the strength on the solution.
She had never had a problem prior.
|Oh that's scary! I'm glad you are feeling better. The histamines your body produces when it reacts to something can make you feel awful, i.e. dizzy, nauseous.
When we were in the urgent care for Steve's toe the other day a girl on the other side of the curtain (no privacy) was allergic to eyeliner she used. I heard her say her face was blown up and numb. She was frightened!
|Okay this may sound completely silly.....but if you KNOW your allergic to stuff as simple as lipstick....why would you try this? Im not harping on you..(okay maybe a little)...but really! When you find something that works for your weak and sensitive skin, you need to stay with it.
To everyone else...the reason Im harping is that she is bad enough at answering telephone call...you throw something like this in and ill never get to talk to her......
I hope you feel better! xoxox.....
ps...did you take any pictures for us to see?
|If you already have known allergies I would take this very seriously.
My SIL had allergies and ignored them for years. One day in a restaurant she had to be rushed to the hospital she went into anaphalactic shock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphalactic_shock Her immune system was so compromised that there was very few foods she could eat. She had to change her diet drastically. She was now allergic to things she was never allergic to before. She has spent a lot of time at the doctors and in and out of the hospital since her episode.
So be careful. We don't want anything to happen to you Jill.
|Oh, the price you pay for vanity!!
...glad you're feeling better.
Okay this may sound completely silly.....but if you KNOW your allergic to stuff as simple as lipstick....why would you try this? Im not harping on you..(okay maybe a little)...but really! When you find something that works for your weak and sensitive skin, you need to stay with it.
No, I hear you and I would tend to agree. But, like I said, I've done this before and had no problems but never at this place with this person. I actually put some of my medication around my mouth before the facial and, ironically, that place was the only part not messed up!
So be careful. We don't want anything to happen to you Jill.
Aw, thanks, I appreciate it and I will take it seriously. No more serums, chemicals or creams anymore. I called and left a message for the aesthetician so I can find out exactly what she used and I'll never touch it again. I do have allergies to things but they are all relatively new and I never know what a new one will be. I've been meaning to go have an allergy test done but the dermatologist didn't seem too optimistic that I'd actually get any good information out of it. It may be worth a try, though.
|Yikes that must have been scary Jill!
So glad you're okay now!
I found myself being highly allergic to things that in the past previosly never bothered me, so I think a trip to the allergist is probably a good thing. We want you around for some time to come!
|I had one of those "scratch tests" for my allergies, and the big problem was that the test was so stressful that I just reacted to EVERYTHING...My dermatologist said that this is very common... I've given up trying to figure out specificly what I'm allergic to, and am just very, very cautious about anything scented (this being my personal nemesis) I hope you are feeling better...that attack sounded REALLY miserable!|
|I am extremely allergic to a lot of facial products, perfume, bath soaps, shampoos, and even a lot of washing powders. If you have an allergic reaction it can definitely make you feel extremely ill.|
|glad youre feeling better. that would have been a nightmare, if you tried something like that in vegas....dont EVEN think about doing ANYTHING out of the ordinary while youre there....
feel better puffy face! xo
|Didn't find exactly what you're looking for? Search again here:
Identifying Ticks info