Mom says that from now on it will be absolutely necessary for me to stay out of the kitchen when she cooks chocolate for Dad. I understand they say it is bad for me, but it is so good.
You should know that for a Sheepdog-sized dog, a small amount of chocolate like a brownie or 4, while NOT GOOD for your pooch and might cause intestinal tract discomfort (ewwww), would NOT be fatal. Even a rather large sizied amount probably won't be fatal. It would probably have to be in the pounds range to be deadly.
|Glad to hear it, Ron- Blue got at a big slab of white chocolate that was in my car the other night. White chocolate is her favourite. If you give her a piece and sit down, she'll keep tapping your shoulder with her paw until you give her more.
Blue is an outdoors dog which does counteract counter-surfing. However, she does car-surf. I always have my driver's side window open and, if I leave her unattended, she'll put her upper body through the window and try to get whatever's on the seat. That's how she got at the chocolate. Oh- and a keyring once. Luckily she just chewed it (and my keys) and gave them back to me.
|White chocolate -- some people swear it's chocolate others swear it ain't...the debate could go on for ever. Fortunately for you, I THINK it's not the word "chocolate" that's bad, it's the COCOA in the (brown) chocolate.
I'm not sure about cocoa butter that might be in white chocolate... I'll try to find out about it.
Chocolate contains methylxanthine alkaloids in the form of theobromine and caffeine, that cause constriction of arteries, increased heart rate, and central nervous system stimulation. These effects can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and increased urinations. More advanced symptoms of toxicity include excitability, increased respirations and heartbeat, stiffness, seizures and exaggerated reflexes.
Certain types of chocolate contain higher amounts of methylxanthines, baking chocolate containing the highest and white chocolate containing the least. Dogs freely ingest toxic amounts of chocolate if it is left accessible. A potentially lethal dose in a 16 pound. dog is only one pound of milk chocolate.
Note that the "potentially lethal dose" for a 16 pound dog is one pound of milk chocolate (solid chocolate, no fillers like flour, butter, eggs in your brownies, or sweet fillers in cream chocolates). Extrapoliting that to a 70 pound sheepie, would be 4 pounds?
Note they also say that White chocolate has the least amounts of the toxin. I wouldn't think that a very small piece would be a problem for Blue, and even a big slab for a big girl is probably not a serious concern... except for the waistline perhaps!
Which chocolate is the safest, relatively speaking? White
chocolate. It has the least amount of theobromine: 1 mg per ounce.
Far on the other side of the spectrum is baking chocolate, which has a huge 450 mg of theobromine per ounce!
Here are a few other chocolates for you to ponder: hot chocolate,
12 mg of theobromine per ounce; milk chocolate, 60 mg/oz; and up there
near baking chocolate: semi-sweet chocolate with 260 mg/oz.
Of course, THIS IS ALL MY PERSONAL OPINION, AND I'M NOT A VET! If anybody is concerned about something their pet has consumed or their reaction to it, see your vet right away!
...and even a big slab for a big girl is probably not a serious concern... except for the waistline perhaps!
My life story!!
Thanks a million for the info, Ron!
|Let's see...... Truman's take lately is as follows:
One ham and cheese sandwich
1/2 a platter of cheese, salami, etc.
A pkg of graham crackers
Dessert: 1 ball point pen and one pair of sunglasses!!
|Oh, yeah - I forgot the paperback book. At least he didn't tear out the ending - it was a "who done it" and I was almost at the end!!|
I have a good brownie story - with a happy ending.
When my Penelope was getting a wee bit older (11 or 12) my mom came to stay. I baked a big batch of brownies and had them cooling on the counter, I left to run to the store, my mom was sitting doing needlework in the living room, no TV (baby sleeping) so she was very quiet. Penelope THOUGHT she was home alone, her hair was really long and she was shaggy over the eyes, so she didnt see my mom when she ambled past her on her way into the kitchen. Being a good OES grandmom, my mother quietly got up and followed her, there was Penelope standing up to the counter. I had pushed the plate of brownies to the back. My mom said Penelope reached out one long shaggy paw and hooked the plate, dragged it forward, within nose reach, she then nosed the aluminum foil off with a couple of nudges, the whole time my mom just watched her.
She made a couple of licks and was about to take a great big bite when my mom said "Penny 'NO!'", classic OES, she simply dropped to the ground and walked away as if nothing had happened, but she was so BUSTED! She simply walked back in the living room and laid down. Big Harumph.... (Curses! Foiled again!).
This from a dog who DID eat over twelve pair of shoes, the toes and heels out of wool socks (only wool), and one Thanksgiving did manage to inhale the entire pate from the coffee table when everyone was momentarily in the kitchen.
I love this website, I get to remember all of the great things about the best dog ever- thanks!
|i havent had any such experiences with jumping up and snagging food, but now i know what to look for, (and laugh at too)|
|Didn't find exactly what you're looking for? Search again here:
Identifying Ticks info